







In English we often use an infinitive with to to talk about a person’s purpose.
We can also use 'in order to' or 'so as to'.
'So as to' and 'in order to' are more common before verbs like be, have, know etc.
Before a negative infinitive, we normally use 'so as' or 'in order'.
Notes for use of infinitive of purpose :
We say I came here to study English NOT I came here for studying English OR I came here for to study English.
We can use for + noun to say why we do something.
| Infinitive of purpose example sentences | |
|---|---|
| Yeah, they reduce the price to get rid of them. | 是的,他们降价的目的是尽快清理掉它们。 |
| I think you are doing this on purpose to annoy me. | 我觉得你这样做就是为了惹恼我。 |
| I'm here with a plumber to fix the clogged toilet. | 我带了一个水管工过来修堵塞的坐便器。 |
| It helped me a lot to save some time. | 这帮我节省了一些时间。 |
| Alright, I need one of you to help me open the door. | 是的,我需要你们中的一个帮助我把门打开。 |
| Don't you have a cleaner to help keep the house clean? | 你们会请清洁工来帮助收拾房间吗? |
| We can find you a better house to live in. | 我们可以找到一个更好的房子的。 |
| I'm just calling you to check if you are ready. | 我打电话给你就是想确认下你准备好了没。 |
| I took a half day off work to bring Pogo to the vet. | 为了带波哥来看兽医我请了半天假。 |
| What? Excuse me! Are you just calling to tell me this now? | 什么?拜托!你现在打电话就是为了告诉我这个吗? |
| I just came to take Mike with me. | 我只是来带迈克和我一起走的。 |
| Arrgh... I can't believe he suggested leaving Pogo to take the room!!! | 啊嗬... 我不敢相信他会建议我离开Pogo为了租一个房间!!! |
| You can bring Pogo one day to see if they get on well. | 你哪天可以将波哥带过来,看看它们相处地怎么样。 |
| I brought him to see if he gets on well with Bear. | 我把它带过来是看一下它能不能与大熊相处得好。 |
| I already did it a couple of months ago to find this one. | 2个月前我找到这个房子已经那么做了。 |
| I wonder how many times you brought her here to watch the sunset. | 我想知道你带她来这里看夕阳看了多少次。 |
| To avoid making my payment! | 就是为了逃避向我付款! |
| She called me last night to let me know about the clogged toilet... | 她昨晚给我打电话告诉我堵塞的坐便器的事儿... |
| Maybe it's better for us to meet up somewhere to talk about this. | 也许我们最好去某个地方来讨论这个。 |
| To guarantee our safety. | 一定要保证我们的安全。 |