







In English we often use an infinitive with to to talk about a person’s purpose.
We can also use 'in order to' or 'so as to'.
'So as to' and 'in order to' are more common before verbs like be, have, know etc.
Before a negative infinitive, we normally use 'so as' or 'in order'.
Notes for use of infinitive of purpose :
We say I came here to study English NOT I came here for studying English OR I came here for to study English.
We can use for + noun to say why we do something.
| Infinitive of purpose example sentences | |
|---|---|
| Yeah, they reduce the price to get rid of them. | 是的,他们降价的目的是尽快清理掉它们。 |
| I wonder how many times you brought her here to watch the sunset. | 我想知道你带她来这里看夕阳看了多少次。 |
| I need a couple of days to finish my projects... | 我需要几天来完成我的项目... |
| Don't you have a cleaner to help keep the house clean? | 你们会请清洁工来帮助收拾房间吗? |
| I'm here with a plumber to fix the clogged toilet. | 我带了一个水管工过来修堵塞的坐便器。 |
| It requires two people to do it... | 它需要2个人才能打开... |
| Can you check the price tag to see if they are sold by the kilo or individually? | 你能看下价格标签,确认下是按公斤卖还是单卖吗? |
| Alright, I need one of you to help me open the door. | 是的,我需要你们中的一个帮助我把门打开。 |
| Maybe it's better for us to meet up somewhere to talk about this. | 也许我们最好去某个地方来讨论这个。 |
| It helped me a lot to save some time. | 这帮我节省了一些时间。 |
| I knew you were waiting to ask that question! | 我知道你在等着我问那个问题! |
| Excuse me!? I just played with the kids to keep them entertained. | 抱歉!?我只是和孩子们玩了一会儿。 |
| Mike just went to get us some drinks. | 迈克刚刚去给我们拿喝的了。 |
| So I turned the stove up higher to cook faster. | 所有我调到炉子火力来更快的煎炸。 |
| I will try to talk to her to solve the problem! | 我会试着和她谈一谈来解决这个问题! |
| No, it's only for people to have fun at an amusement park. | 是的,它只是为人们在游乐场游玩用的。 |
| Arrgh... I can't believe he suggested leaving Pogo to take the room!!! | 啊嗬... 我不敢相信他会建议我离开Pogo为了租一个房间!!! |
| To avoid making my payment! | 就是为了逃避向我付款! |
| Are you here to talk about this issue, Nick? | 你来这就是为了讨论这件事的吗,尼克? |
| To guarantee our safety. | 一定要保证我们的安全。 |